I have an idea for a feature
"I have an idea for a feature, can you build it?"
Feature Development Philosophy for Organize Series
In general, with Organize Series core, the goal is to keep the main plugin as lean as possible, containing the bare minimum needed for most users to easily manage their serial content. This means that the majority of extra features people want will go into add-ons for Organize Series.
For add-ons, we follow the similar idea of keeping the add-on functionality as lean as possible for accomplishing the main purpose of that add-on. This means that we try to group like functionality together in single purpose add-ons for that functionality but any extra functionality that could stand on its own independently will be in its own add-on. The goal is that there should be no dependency between add-ons and the only dependency in the whole family will be on the main core plugin.
If you have an idea for a feature that doesn't exist in Organize Series Core (or any add-ons) and there's no critical timeline for seeing it implemented:
- write up a request here on the WordPress Support Forums for Organize Series.
- submit your feature request as a GitHub issue.
This will at least get your idea out there and bring it to ours (and others) attention. If we see a lot of support for a feature in a thread/issue the likelihood of us eventually developing it into an add-on (or maybe including it in existing add-ons) is greater.
Typically speaking however, this method will not result in any quick action and unless we see a lot of requests for this feature (or it captures our interest) it will be low on our development priorities.
If you have an idea for a feature and there isa critical timeline for seeing it implemented:
We realize that sometimes people really want to use Organize Series (along with add-ons) because it gets them most of the way towards their needs but there's that one bit of functionality it doesn't do that would make t the perfect solution. You don't have time to wait for there to be enough generated interest and want to see it done soon. If this is you, then there's a few options you have:
1. Custom Development
With custom development you can either hire a developer on your own, or consult with our team to build the functionality you need.
If we do the development for you with this option:
- The cost of development will be our full current rates.
- The customization work is yours after completion and you are able to do what you want with it after (you could sell it as your own add-on if you wanted!)
- Unless we make arrangements in the original quote, no ongoing support is provided for the work after its turned over to you complete.
- We retain the right to use what we custom developed in any future add-ons/code we build for Organize Series in the future. In other words, custom development does not grant exclusivity for the work completed (unless special arrangements are made).
2. Sponsored Development
Sponsored development is similar to custom development where we do the work except:
- We keep ownership of the finished product.
- We will sell the work as an add-on (or if its added to an existing add-on or core).
- We provide ongoing support for that feature as a part of our support-license.
- Sponsor will receive a single year license for the finished product plus a single year support license.
- We evaluate the likelihood of recovering development costs for developing the feature and will quote the sponsorship costs accordingly. Typically sponsorship development costs are about 50% cheaper than custom development.
Either of these options ensures that your feature will get bumped to the top of our development queue (relative to any other custom development/sponsorship requests we have) and thus you'll see it done quicker. However, we do evaluate every incoming custom development and sponsorship development request that comes in and depending on our current queue we may not be able to take it on immediately. To get the ball rolling you can fill out the Custom Development Form.